Hi Carsten, Hi List,

Le Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 07:01:05AM +0200, Carsten Schoenert a écrit :
> heavily force pushing to not blow up the git tree with dozens of Fixup
> commits! In the 'official' git tree this is a no go of course.

Would doing the work in a git branch and 'git merge --squash' at the
end be a solution to this problem ?

I have the same issue when trying to use CI to run tests instead of
running them locally, but using Mercurial, I just 'hg amend' them and
I end up with a clean history.

<shamelessplug>
With Mercurial and its concept of obsolete commit combined with the
evolve extension, a team can amend commits and share these amended
commits without anyone losing work.

I never found the equivalent in git where rewriting an history to
clean it once the dust as settled breaks every repository that already
pulled these commits.

In other words, Mercurial allows you to work in a decentralized fashion
both on your source and on the history of your source.
</shamelessplug>

--
Nicolas Chauvat