On Thu, Jan 05, 2023 at 07:14:40PM +0000, Guðjón Guðjónsson wrote:
> Hi list
> I am working on eric and I do have a problem with the lintian requirement to
> replace the jquery.js file with the debian provided jquery.js file.
> The upstream author pointed out that it doesn't work as well and I have
> verified
> the behavior.
> If you run eric7_browser and press ==->Bookmarks->Speed Dial it doesn't show
> the
> links when using the debian jquery.js file.
> Is it ok to keep the original jquery files and add a lintian-override in this
> case?
> Regards
> Gudjon

Hi Gudjon,

Looking at it, the problem seems to be that eric is using an ancient
version of jQuery (1.7.1, released Nov 22, 2011; 1.7.2 was released on
Mar 21, 2012).  jQuery-UI 1.8.16 is similarly old (released Aug 15,
2011, 1.8.17 was released on Nov 29, 2011).  You could embed it (but
not the minimised version in the upstream eric sources, but rather the
original source from github.com/jquery/{jquery,jquery-ui}, but it
would be far from ideal - who knows how many bugs or possible security
issues there are in such an old version?  A much better solution, if
feasible, is to ask the eric upstream to switch to a recent version of
jQuery and jQuery UI, and to update the code depending on it
accordingly.  If upstream won't do that, then we should.

Best wishes,

   Julian