Hi Drew,

Am Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 02:45:31AM +0100 schrieb Drew Parsons:
> On 2023-01-17 18:12, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I upgraded the experimental branch of scipy to contain the submodules
> > upstream includes.  I'm *not* convinced that we need them all -
> > hopefully we can get rid of boost (but upstream has some patches here)
> > and scipy-mathjax.
> >
> > For the moment I've tried to build the experimental branch and ended
> > up with some issue where cython can't be found (should be cython3 for
> > sure)[1].
> >
> > Unfortunately my spare time is occupied now by other more urgent tasks.
> > I'd be happy if someone else could review / pick up / continue from
> > here.
>

> The problem was not meson as such, but that upstream is only half using
> meson.  They must have decided they don't trust the way meson handles
> cython, and set up their own custom build tools for it, see
> https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/15407
>
> That is, they hard-coded the cython executable name in
> scipy/_build_utils/cythoner.py
>
> They actually did the same already in the old setuptools build
> (tools/cythonize.py), but we didn't notice since they had the breaking
> cython call wrapped in a try block which inspected a Cython class from
> inside python.  I raised an Issue about  whether cythoner.py should do the
> same in https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/17808
> We could argue the fault is debian's for not providing a cython executable
> (it does have -2 and -3 options for choosing the python version to work
> with).

Thanks for the clarification.

> I figure also we should use python3-mesonpy, since it's what upstream uses.
> Best not to diverge too far from their build method I think.

I'm perfectly fine with this approach.  That's why I initially pushed
meson-python to new.  I've just dput meson-python_0.12.0-2_source to let
it migrate to testing.  My attempt to use plain meson (as per upstream
readme) was just to shorten the time while meson-python was in new
queue.

> I've pushed commits updating cythoner.py to point cythoner.py at cython3.
> The main build now completes. Have to clean up test handling next:
> "FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
> '/projects/python/build/scipy/.coveragerc'

Nice.  Hope my preparation (of meson-python and the multi-source tarball)
helped to move forward.  Please double check whether we really need the
boost code copy.

Kind regards

     Andreas.

--