Hello,

I try to understand the "metainfo" file I was pointed to by an "AppStream hint".

https://appstream.debian.org/sid/main/issues/backintime-qt.html

There are some links pointing to freedesktop.org. There is also appstream.debian.org.
I read that and got the keys of that concept.

But I want to know how this is related to Debian especially Python projects. Python projects to offer meta data in form of pyproject.toml or setup.cfg. So why should I add another (redundant) meta data file?

Where is the location of that file? Should it be in the root of the repo or is it part of the "/debian" (with control file, etc) folder in that repo?

What is the advantage for Debian users of such a file? Debian doesn't offer a "software center". ;)

Kind
Christian