¡Hola Matthias!

El 2026-09-29 a las 13:52 +0200, Matthias Klose escribió:
I would like to avoid anything, which breaks package builds or autopkg tests, before 3.15 is the default. This includes pybuild and autopkg tests also looping over the free-threaded versions. And most likely, we should wait until 3.14 is dropped as a supported version. Not sure what else could be done for the upcoming forky release. I assume at this time, the archive is about to freeze, or already frozen.

I agree that we shouldn't break packages before 3.15 is the default, and
that this will likely be after forky. But, we should get the tooling
ready, and we should actually start now, because this is going to take time.

The first step is to add python3.15-nogil and libpython3.15-nogil, which
I already sent as a proposal.

Once that's done, we could add python3-nogil, python3-nogil-all and its
variants to python3-defaults. And we could add an option to py3versions
to list the nogil versions.

After that we would need to modify dh-python and pybuild so that they
support nogil versions, this would only happen for packages that
explicitly signal they want to be built against the nogil interpreter.
And for this we need to decide how to signal it, which was part of my
initial question.

Maybe start filing user-tagged bug reports for free-threaded first, also explaining how people can build and test with that interpreter?

I think that we need to think on the process first before we ask people
to test it.

Fun fact: packages that use the limited api are already getting
built as abi3 and abi3t extensions without us doing anything (not even
shipping the -nogil intepreter).
Happy hacking,
--
Se necesitan voluntarios para dominar el mundo.
Saludos /\/\ /\ >< `/

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: PGP signature

Reply via email to