*** Reporter, please consider answering these questions, where
* What led up to the situation?
I useMAte, orca, and so on
* What exactly did you do (or not do) that was effective (or
1. Open a terminal
2. Type vbetool dpms off
3. The screen is off. Next, vbetool dpms on screen is on again
4. I close my laptop, it sleeps
5. I open it and start it 6. I have my desktop with screen on, even if I
choosed dpms off in previous step
7. So I type again vbetool dpms off
* What was the outcome of this action?
The screen stays on, not off. I tried installing or not screensaver, not
* What outcome did you expect instead?
Screen should stay off or vbetool dpms command shoule make it off again.
*** End of the template - remove these template lines ***
Thanks. Is there an alternative to make screen display nothing? Useful
for me as I am blind so screen useless
and I would like to save battery
-- System Information:
Debian Release: stretch/sid
APT prefers testing-debug
APT policy: (500, 'testing-debug'), (500, 'testing')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)
Foreign Architectures: i386
Kernel: Linux 4.8.0-1-amd64 (SMP w/4 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=fr_FR.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
Init: systemd (via /run/systemd/system)
Versions of packages vbetool depends on:
ii libc6 2.24-5
ii libpci3 1:3.3.1-1.1
ii libx86-1 1.1+ds1-10
vbetool recommends no packages.
vbetool suggests no packages.
-- no debconf information