On Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 07:14:50AM -0800, tony mancill wrote:
> This is similar to my original proposal for 1029476, except I was merely
> switching all of the arch-all packages to arch-any.  I can confirm that
> that approach builds correctly and the package installs and can be
> upgraded.  It has the disadvantage of using more space on the mirrors
> and also a bit more time on the buildd machines, since the arch-all bits
> are duplicated.

Mirror space should not be a worry anymore (that was different in the 1990s),
I remember that something needed fixing when we had the first file > 2 GB
(some .orig.gz) in our archive a few years ago.

Regarding buildd time, you might never have heard about the acl2
package - except if you are looking at buildd.debian.org a lot since
this is a package that takes literally a week to build on some buildds.

Developer time is usually the most scarce resource in Debian.

> The advantage to your proposal of a single package is that it would also
> resolve the build issue, be be a bit simpler for users, and also make it
> easier for us to add new modules, since the package wouldn't have to go
> back through the NEW queue.  The disadvantage would be the same in terms
> of space, but more importantly that installing tuxguitar would require
> installing the transitive dependencies of all of the plugins.  I assume
> they are all co-installable, but I can imagine bug reports from ALSA or
> OSS users not wanting to have to install jack libraries.

I would be worried if a plugin does weird things by default if installed.

FFmpeg already pulls in jack libraries, Debian is not a distribution
that tries hard to reduce the number of unused libraries on a system.

> Cheers,
> tony

cu
Adrian