Betreff: Re: After upgrade to Debian Bullseye, I am not able to burn DVDs.
Datum: 2021-11-26T12:45:47+0100
Von: "Thomas Schmitt" <scdbac...@gmx.net>
An: "999...@bugs.debian.org" <999...@bugs.debian.org>

Hi,

w_t...@t-online.de wrote:
> When I click the tiny icon beside "DVD-R sequential recording",
> the former grayed menus for speed and writing mode are now available.
> Then I can also
> start the writing  process, and it does not go to max speed and completes
> successfully.

So - with the necessary black magic - it is possible to use Xfburn
for your purpose with your drive.

Insofar this is a success. {:)

> This is all very confusing.

I agree. Desktops like XFCE, GNOME, or KDE and their applications bring
my blood pressure up to unhealthy levels every time i have use them.
(As a good classic Linuxer i use fvwm2 as window manager with a config
file that essentially stems from a 20 year old SuSE installation.)

> I have no clue what's going on here, and I am so
> sorry for bothering you with that.

No need to apologize. If i would not be interested i could just have
staid away from this bug report.
Given the lack of any active GUI developers for optical disc burning,
i have to check out the user problems with those programs in order to
distinguish their own problems from potential problems in libburn or in
my command line programs.

Any normal desktop user is more qualified than me to operate Xfburn,
Brasero, or K3B. So i cannot help with talking one of them into doing
what the user wants. At best i can lookup error messages in their code
and follow the traces to a burner problem for which i have knowledge.

But especially with K3B's C++ spaghetti code i have big difficulties
to understand. Program execution tends to vanish in a fog of class
inheritance and function overloading. Often it is hard to find the code
part which does the actual work of talking to the drive or to the burn
program.

I will next dig out the instructions how to attribute this bug report
to the Debian package K3B, because you report a reproducible K3B problem
with the upgrade from Debian 10 to Debian 11.
(I don't hold a Debian rank. But any amateur is allowed to operate the
bug tracking system by mail messages. See:
  https://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-control
)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas