On September 14, 2015 12:19:52 PM EDT, Adrien Grellier <pe...@adrieng.fr> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Why I updated the copyright ?
>
>Calligra is nearly ready to be uploaded to sid. I am just like you :
>not much
>time to dedicate to calligra. So I just take the current procedure to
>update
>the copyright file, et voila. Users are asking for calligra in sid, and
>with
>the GCC-5 transition, we better upload a new version soon.
>
>As I said before, I like to have a clean, reproducible procedure, and
>well
>documented. That's why I created the README.source. I like it because I
>
>usually can't remember how to do all the stuff, and it's much simpler
>for
>newcomer to understand the packaging.
>
>If you want to improve the procedure, just like we all have done
>before,
>you're totally welcome to do it!
>
>But for now, I have seen you trashing all our work, without discussing
>it
>before. You replace it by your work, unfinished, without document it.
>It's not
>a way of working together! So please document precisely your way of
>creating
>and updating the copyright, so we can reproduce it quickly, and then we
>may
>discuss it, to balance the pros and cons.
>
>You proposed to mix GPL and LGPL license in one paragraph. I am not
>sure it's
>a good idea. If someone wants to take only the LGPL parts, for instance
>integrate non free modifications in it, he cannot use the copyright
>file for
>it.
>But I am not sure about the goal of the debian/copyright file: is it
>mean to
>be readable by a human ? or only by scripts ?
>
>I agree that grouping the versions of a same license together is a good
>idea.
>
>And what the others in the team are thinking about it ?

The purpose of debian/copyright is to make Debian in compliance with the
licenses used by upstream.  These generally require inclusion of the licenses
and copyright notices.

While automation can sometimes produce a decent first approximation, I've yet
to see a nontrivial case it gets right.  As a member of the FTP Team, I see a
wide variety of things from throughout Debian and I think Dmitry is on the
right track.

Debian/copyright is for humans (to answer one part of your question).

If not all of the third party packages are used, you might try Copyright format
1.0 and Files-Excluded to easily keep them out of the tarball.  That way
there's that much less to document.

Scott K