On 28/10/15 02:56 PM, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
Hi!
Are you using Plymouth? If so, I might have resolved this issue
already (not yet uploaded to the archive).
Please try applying this patch to the /lib/systemd/system/sddm.service file:
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-kde/kde-std/sddm.git/commit/?id=b50b826a4809b85270d5adc026b6d28fcdbb47c5
And see if that resolves the issue.
Anyway, "failed to bring up the login screen" is very broad - what
exacly happened? Did it crash? Did you get a tty, or just a black
screen?

Cheers,
     Matthias

No, I am not using Plymouth.

"Failed to bring up the login screen" is as it says. The screen gets switched into graphical mode (blank) but nothing ever displays on it. I can bring up a TTY using an alt-Fkey combination but nothing graphical.