In data sabato 26 gennaio 2019 19:00:11 CET, Simon Quigley ha scritto:
> Hello,
>
> On 1/26/19 11:56 AM, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> > I wonder whether it would have been possible to ask the release team
> > for a freeze exception in advance for this release of Qt, as running
> > the LTS on a stable release would ease future maintenance in Debian
> > stable.
> > Now though it's likely too late for that, as a new Qt could push back
> > the schedule in case existing software breaks due to it.
>
> Also wearing my Ubuntu hat, we're going to get 5.12.1 in Disco (19.04)
> as soon as it comes out; I brought it up between Debian Qt members
> yesterday because I was also thinking about doing it in Experimental. If
> that works out and the release team ACKs, I personally wouldn't be
> opposed to it.
>
> I'll let other Debian Qt members give their opinion on the matter before
> we consider talking to the release team. :)

Definitely not an option at this point.

As usual, a new minor Qt release introduces minor source
incompatibilities (usually removing includes from public headers,
breaking the build of sources).  Also, there are also behaviour
changes, e.g. in QtWayland and don't know where else.  I remember
seeing patches for both the situations in KDE's phabricator, and that
would anyway cover only the issues in software by KDE (and not in any
other Qt software).

Considering that the last couple of 5.x -> 5.x+1 transitions of Qt
caused a number of FTBFS & other issues, completely not planned in
advanced (e.g. by reporting bugs to packages asking to make changes
for compatibility with the upcoming Qt), doing this work right now
at slightly more than 1 month before the freeze is simply not a
reasonable choice.

Also, having an LTS in stable would make sense only if, other than
what I explained before, the release team would then agree to rebase
Qt in stable. Considering this usually never happens, the benefit of
an LTS is moot.

--
Pino Toscano