Hi guys,

Status update on the lava-server and django upgrade problems.

As far as we know, the vast majority of existing installations of
lava-server will already have django 1.8 installed from
jessie-backports and will therefore not see any problems upgrading to
Stretch.

New Stretch installations with no previous user data will also not be
affected.

This is entirely about upgrades of lava-server directly from jessie to
stretch.

I've been discussing with Brian May and Raphael Hertzog about where the
actual bug lies, it *seems* to be in the dependency graph calculations
of the migration loader inside django 1.10. It is not yet 100% clear if
this is a bug caused in 1.7 and revealed by 1.10 or a bug introduced in
1.10 as a result of bug fixes upstream in this area. We are still
investigating and we're hoping for some kind of fix soon.

Note: the problem disappears completely if django 1.8 is installed
between 1.7 and 1.10 and installing 1.8 can even rescue a broken
installation in limited circumstances if the admin makes only minimal
actions before doing so. Once that is complete, 1.10 can upgrade
cleanly.

Steve and I will be on VAC from a few hours from now for 1 week. I have
tasked the LAVA software team upstream to continue working with Brian
and Raphael on potential fixes and testing. Hopefully, we should have a
fix or a workaround ready to upload as soon as I'm back.

Apologies for the hassle caused here. Please bear with us.

--

Neil Williams