On 2017-09-09 15:08 +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:

> Do you know what the reverse dependencies of the tic program or library
> are in Debian,

Short answer: I don't know.

Long answer:

The tic library is used by tack and a few programs in ncurses-bin (tic
and its aliases infotocap/captoinfo, infocmp and toe).  I am not aware
of any others, but there might be one or two.

For the programs, infocmp is commonly used by Perl's Term::Cap module
which in turn is used by other Perl modules, so by quite a few
packages.  It only runs infocmp on the terminfo description pointed to
by the TERM variable.  There are 40+ other hits for infocmp on
codesearch.debian.net, I have not really checked them.

Apparently captoinfo and infotocap have no reverse dependencies.  For
tic and toe, it is impossible to check due to their short names. :-(

If you run tic with common arguments as a normal user, it will write to
the ~/.terminfo directory, creating it if necessary.  I don't have this
directory which indicates that third parties don't run tic behind my
back, but then again I have only a fraction of all packages installed.

> and whether any of them commonly process untrusted
> terminfo data (though I know that's not an easy thing to paint as
> black/white)?

If I had known such a program, I would have asked for a DSA after all.
So I don't know, but my knowledge is limited and Debian is large.

Cheers,
       Sven