Hello Release Team, SRMs,

I need some advice about what course of action to take with the
certbot suite of packages. (rel.d.o bug 887399).

Right now, the version that's in stable is partially non-functional
due to a security bug fixed upstream by blacklisting the only
challenge mechanism that the software supports.  (Specifically, the
nginx and apache plugins don't work; people using the webroot or
standalone modes can still renew and get new certificates.)

There are basically three ways I see of getting out of this problem:

1.  Backport 0.21.1 to stable.  This is the course of action I think
I'd personally like to see; I'd be OK with unwinding the changes that
I made to switch to py3 to reduce the amount of change that we're
making in stable, but it's still a fairly large jump.
2.  RM the version out of stable completely, and tell people to use
stretch-backports if they want to use certbot.  Not a great solution,
but the version in stable right now should probably be considered
RC-buggy.
3.  Attempt to backport the HTTP-01 changes to 0.10.2.  This is a
large amount of work, and I realistically don't have the time to do
it.  Upstream isn't interested in doing this work either, so we'd be
somewhat out on a limb on our own with a security-sensitive piece of
software.

Please let me know if there's clarification I can make; I'm honestly
not sure how to strike the balance here.

Thanks!
--
Harlan Lieberman-Berg
~hlieberman