El miércoles, 18 de julio de 2018 10:07:42 -03 Emilio Pozuelo Monfort
escribió:
[snip]
> > Quoting https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=888366#17
> >
> >   I assure you there there will not be more than one FFmpeg version in the
> >   archive at once :)
> >
> > Now if that can be relaxed then we definitely have a solution.
>
> No, that is still true. For source packages.
>
> However because of the way testing migration works, we allow a source
> package providing new binary packages to keep the old ones in testing if
> they still have rdeps (and they are co-installable). E.g. see how libicu57
> is still in testing, or libcurl3. Once all the rdeps have been updated and
> migrated to testing, the britney removes the old libs.
>
> That should be the case here as well. ffmpeg builds and migrates to testing
> (together with all the rdeps that are rebuilt against the new version). The
> few remaining packages that still link against the old SONAMEs will remain
> in testing together with the old libs, and then eventually those packages
> will get fixed or removed from testing, and the ffmpeg old libs will be
> removed too.
>
> That means ffmpeg can start the transition now and migrate to testing, with
> qt still linking against the old library. Then once ffmpeg has migrated, we
> can start the Qt transition and get that rdep fixed, so that we eventually
> get rid of the old "cruft" ffmpeg binary packages from testing.

Ah, in this case we are good :)

> You may not know of this "smooth transitions" concept because Qt can't use
> it.

Indeed, that's true.

> In Qt land, all packages need to migrate at the same time because you
> are not renaming your shared library packages, you just provide foo-abi-*,
> which are provided by two different versions of the same package, and you
> can't have two versions of the same package installed at the same time,

Right, our problem are private API users. This case would be more like Qt 4
and 5 coexisting.

> whereas you can have libavcodec57 and libavcodec58 installed
> simultaneously.

Perfectly clear.

Well, that's pretty nice to read then :-)

Sorry for the noise!

the following formula:

pi zz a

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer