On 5/19/21 9:21 PM, Sebastian Ramacher wrote:
> Control: tags -1 moreinfo
>
> On 2021-05-07 10:56:51 +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> Package: release.debian.org
>> Severity: normal
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need to discuss with the release team what to do in order to address
>> this bug: https://bugs.debian.org/987904
>>
>> What happens is that each Horizon plugin is installing a bunch of python
>> files under /etc/openstack-dashboard/enable.
>>
>> When an Horizon plugin is removed, as the enable folder is in /etc, the
>> enable files of the plugins aren't removed. As a consequence, whenever
>> Horizon attemps to list its plugins (for example, when it tries to do a
>> "collect static" operation, which is kind of compiling all the JS files
>> into a single one, each time a plugin is added/removed or when Horizon
>> upgrades), it just fails, because the files in the enable folder are
>> referencing Python modules that do not exist anymore (since the plugin
>> package has been removed).
>>
>> The solution to fix this is strait forward: replace our symlink in
>> /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/openstack_dashboard/enable by a folder,
>> and push the enable files in there instead of /etc. This way, the plugins
>> removal will also remove the enable files.
>>
>> The problem is that there are 20 Horizon plugins in Debian, and at this
>> point in the release cycle, it doesn't feel like it is a good time to
>> update 20 packages.
>
> Maybe I am missing some of the context, but it appears to me that in
> if the case the plugin package was removed but not purged, a
> ModuleNotFoundError is raised. So, wouldn't it be sufficient for horizon
> to ignore those plugins that raise a ModuleNotFoundError?
>
> Cheers

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for your answer in this bug, I was desperate for an answer! :)

I tried to do as Andreas suggested, and then it fails later on, the code
is harder to understand than just this.

At this point, I've been able to stage the fix in Experimental, and I am
confident that I can backport the fixes to unstable. It's just a large
amount of packages to patch, but I'm confident I can do it.

Your thoughts?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand