On Sat, 25 Sep 2021 at 15:01:46 +0200, Sebastian Ramacher wrote:
> Regardless of future transitions of libffi, if glib and the
> introspection ecosystems are closely tied to the the libffi ABI, the
> affected packages need to express that with the proper dependencies.

It's not that they are closely tied to any specific libffi ABI - to the
best of my knowledge, they're all fine with any reasonable version of
libffi, old or new. The problem is that gobject-introspection and all
users of girffi.h[1] (gjs, pygobject, etc.) all need to be using the
*same* libffi, because girffi.h has functions that return pointers to ffi
types or take pointers to ffi types as parameters.

I don't know whether it is important that glib2.0 and gobject-introspection
are *also* using the same libffi; in the past we assumed that they should,
but it is probably not critical.

[1] https://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=girffi.h&literal=1

    smcv