control: tags -1 - moreinfo

Sebastian Ramacher <sramac...@debian.org> writes:

> On 2023-01-24 17:17:36 +0100, Ferenc Wágner wrote:
>
>> Package: release.debian.org
>> Severity: normal
>> User: release.debian....@packages.debian.org
>> Usertags: transition
>>
>> When reporting #1028286 (transition: xml-security-c) I totally missed
>> that one of the mentioned planned upper layer uploads is the
>> shibboleth-sp 3.3 -> 3.4 upgrade, which, contrary to the xml-security-c
>> transition, actually entails an SONAME change.  Since this wasn't
>> explicit in the original bug, we decided to ask for your ACK again.
>> As you can see in the autogenerated tracker at
>> https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/auto-shibboleth-sp.html,
>> there are only two reverse dependencies, both of which are internal to
>> the Shibboleth ecosystem (thus maintained by us) and both build without
>> changes against shibboleth-sp 3.4.1+dfsg-1.
>
> What would be the consequences of postponing this transition to trixie?

There are no significant functional changes in this transition.  Our
main reason for proposing it is to ship bookworm with the "current
stable release" as much as possible, because upstream provides security
support for the latest two stable releases only [1], and Shibboleth,
being security software, heavily depends on being patched in a timely
manner to stay useful.  While upstream actively works with us on
preparing updates during the embargo periods, this may not be enough if
we have to backport the fixes ourselves, so we strive to minimize such
exposure.  Since this transition affects only two packages, which we
need to rebuild anyway, we'd welcome the additional safety this upgrade
would mean in providing security support for bookworm.

[1]
https://shibboleth.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DEV/pages/1134625008/ProductVersioning
--
Best regards,