Dear Debian Ocaml Team:

Hi.  I'm with the Debian Xen Team.  We recently uploaded
xen_4.17.0+24-g2f8851c37f-1 to unstable.  It went through NEW because
of a cleanup of -dbg packages containing (C) debug symbols.

ftpmaster REJECTed it:
> there is an ocaml stack rebuild[1] at them moment, where xen is a part of.
> So please upload to experimental.
> [1] https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/ocaml.html

The Xen package builds some ocaml tools.  Thanks to Thorsten and Paul
Gevers for trying to keep things running smoothly.

Paul Gevers writes ("Re: xen_4.17.0+24-g2f8851c37f-1_multi.changes REJECTED"):
> On 05-02-2023 14:06, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Sorry again for being an idiot, but where should we have checked, to
> > avoid such a mistake in the future ?  I thought this kind of thing
> > would appear on tracker but
> >     https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/xen
> > doesn't show it now.
>
> ocaml is a bit weird, it has a permanent tracker:
> https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/ocaml.html. Hence tracker
> doesn't show it, as often there is not actively a transition going on.
>
> This was very briefly discussed on IRC:
> [01:53:45] <ta> can the new xen package be uploaded to unstable?
> [07:44:50] <elbrus> ta: there's an ocaml stack rebuild going on
> apparently: https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/ocaml.html
> [07:46:11] <elbrus> I don't know who's doing that, but it might interfere
>
> To be fair, I'm not very aware of how exactly ocaml transitions work and
> I didn't realize ta was asking as ftp-master (and not as cautious xen
> uploader), otherwise I would have tried harder to figure that part out.

It seems we (non-ocaml folks) are a bit confused.  Certainly, I am.

Could you please advise is what the proper way is for us to interact
with ocaml transitions ?  When, if at all, should we wait with
uploading to unstable ?

In the past we have used tracker.d.o to tell us about ongoing
transitions involving our packages.  Is that enough for ocaml too ?
I looked on the wiki and found this
  https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/OCamlTaskForce/OCamlTransitions
which I didn't find very illuminating.

In the meantime, xen_4.17.0+24-g2f8851c37f-2~exp1 has cleared NEW.
It's targeting bookworm and we would like to upload it to unstable.
Please let us know by this time tomorrow if there's any reason not to
do that.

In case it makes any difference, I can confirm that the Xen package
builds reproducibly according to tests.reproducible-builds.org and
indeed my personal experience.

Sorry for not CCing you earlier.

Regards,
Ian.

--
Ian Jackson <ijack...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>   These opinions are my own.

Pronouns: they/he.  If I emailed you from @fyvzl.net or @evade.org.uk,
that is a private address which bypasses my fierce spamfilter.