On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 11:32:21AM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Reduced size in the archive: Avoids multiple identical copies of library
> source code

I remember the 1990s when archive size was a problem, but a few
years ago we had the first file > 2 GB in the archive (AFAIR an
.orig.tar.gz) and that was not a problem except for some fast fix
needed somewhere for files > INT_MAX.

> Reduced complexity of APT: Avoids replicated packaging metadata
>
> Avoids certain types of impossible-to-satisfy scenarios:
> Yes, I am aware that the Rust team packages arch-all code as arch-any
> packages, but I am unaware that their reasoning is well documented
> anywhere.

A scarce resource is human time. There are several people who know how
Rust packages in Debian work. They can quickly make changes to any
normal Rust package. If you package your Rust packages differently,
then it becomes harder and more time-consuming if anyone else ever has
to touch one of your packages (e.g. a security update for rust-rustls).

When your packages are "better" than the normal packages in an
ecosystem, you have low benefits when most packages in the ecosystem
stay "worse", while having the high costs associated with having
different ways of packaging in the ecosystem.

Better benefits and fewer costs would be if you try to convince the
ecosystem as a whole to change, and in any case use for your own
packages whatever the ecosystem is doing.

>  - Jonas

cu
Adrian