    Michael> If a service is not supposed to be enabled, then an
    Michael> override for dh_installsystemd is the correct solution,
    Michael> setting --no-enable, but not by moving it into a
    Michael> subpackage.

Sorry, I was imprecise.
Imagine something like a webserver.
You might well want to install the web server binary so you can run it
as a user for development testing an app or for sharing files.
But you might also want to  install it as a system service.
I think two options are viable depending on factors like whether some
dependencies want to know that it is running as a system service and
how common each configuration will be:

* Install a disabled unit by default but keep everything into one
  package

* or move the system service unit into its own package.  If you just
  want the binary you install one package, but if you want the system
  service, you install the package containing the unit.
  In this case the unit is enabled by default.

If we were to move units back from /usr/lib/systemd/system to
/lib/systemd/system, the second case would potentially trigger the dpkg
bug.  But:

    Michael> I also don't see a good reason, why a unit file, once
    Michael> installed in /usr/lib/systemd/system should ever move back
    Michael> to /lib/systemd/system.

I agree with you here.   This requires keeping the debhelper change
rather than backing it out after the bookworm release.
I think both you and I support that.