On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 11:06:49PM +0100, Sebastian Ramacher wrote:
> Hi Dominic
>
> On 2023-02-27 15:50:05 +0000, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 04:54:33PM +0100, Paul Gevers wrote:
> > > Control: tags -1 moreinfo
> > >
> > > Hi,

> > > Can you please confirm that everything is ready to do this? I.e. there is
> > > no
> > > "this should work but we haven't tested it" cases. If yes, then please
> > > upload the packages that involve new binaries to experimental and when
> > > those
> > > are passed NEW, ping this bug. If no surprises pop up, we'll grant an
> > > exception, but we want everything fully ready before doing so.
> >
> > Thanks, yep. We had planned out this transition and I feel confident
> > the rest of it will work out (worst case we need to drop a barely
> > used extension package somewhere).
> >
> > Andrew and I are working on this at the moment and will ping this bug
> > when it's fully staged.
>
> What's the status of this transition?

Hi Sebastian

Sorry for the long delay. Myself and, I think, Andrew have been short on time.

The transition is basically ready to go, but I've been rethinking the need
to drop request-tracker4, given it will all be quite tight. It turns out that
request-tracker4 is still supported upstream
(https://bestpractical.com/release-policy)
and there's no specific EoL set. When we first started the plan to
deprecate request-tracker4 in Debian, I think we were assuming otherwise.
The package is in good shape and I believe otherwise ready to be released.

If Andrew is in agreement, I therefore think we should let request-tracker4
be released with the next release. We can reconsider whether to drop it from
the release + 1 at a more leisurely pace. The work we've done to date will not
be wasted effort.

I've tentatively downgraded #1030749 to signal this intent.

Cheers
Dominic