Hi,

an (in some way) outstanders point of view for this discussion.

Am 16.05.23 um 09:37 schrieb x s:
It’s really disappointing that the only reason for blocking Plasma 5.27.5 and Frameworks 5.104 is that there’s “too many packages”.
It's disappointing that KDE people like this do not care at all about established rules and just start lobbying people because of their usually clueless userbase I observe on mailing list...

KDE upstream has stopped feature development for Plasma 5.x and Frameworks 5.x with the releases of Plasma 5.27.0 and Frameworks 5.100, because the focus has completely switched to developing Plasma 6.0 and Frameworks 6.0 [1] [this link also explains the Fibonacci release cycle that you asked about].

Which is basically  the same for many packages.

I am njust going to talk about another prominent free software for desktops: LibreOffice (which I "normally" don't even use but maintain)

That means Plasma 5.27.x and Frameworks 5.1xx are strictly only bug fix releases, they contain absolutely no new features and no major regressions have been reported in the newer versions. Just check the changelogs for every Plasma release since 5.27.2 and every Frameworks release since 5.103 (the versions Testing is stuck on), there have been *hundreds* of bugs fixed since. Cherry-picking fixes for the most prominent crashes just isn’t practical considering especially how many bugs were fixed in Plasma 5.27.3 alone.

Same for LibreOffice for example.

With the difference that the 7.4.x branch is dead basically now (https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan/7.4) but also has "Only important bug fixes, and l10n improvements".

Also quite a sh*load of bugfixes. See [2]

I could have uploaded 7.4.7 two weeks ago, which would have even saved a last minute upload to fix two security issues because they were fixed upstream in that version

Still I followed the freze and didn't upload 7.4.6 and 7.4.7.

So should KDE and so should anyone.

I’d like to remind you that GNOME 43.4 was allowed to migrate recently; why does GNOME get special treatment and KDE has to stay stuck on an older, buggier version? Debian KDE users would strongly appreciate you changing your stance and allowing the best versions to be included on release.

I could say

"Why does KDE get special treatment and LibreOffice has to stay stuck on an older, buggier version? Debian LibreOffice users would strongly appreciate you changing your stance and allowing the best versions to be included on release."

See the problem?

(actually I complained about that double morable and on doing this in effect in a secret cabal meeting yesterday on IRC)

> If you still are not convinced on allowing these to be unblocked, would you at least consider allowing them to migrate for the Debian 12.1 point release? Again, I’d like to remind you that these are long-term support releases, they strictly fix bugs and contain no new features. There are absolutely no downsides to allowing them to migrate so they can be in Debian 12.

I definitely have learned from this and will refer to this bug next freeze and get the latest LibreOffice in. (And try to get it updated in 12.1).

There's no reason to deny that given this (imminent) approval of 50 source packages compared to one.

All the other parameters are the same.

Regards,

Rene

[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan/7.4