On Mon, 11 Sep 2023 at 19:46:07 +0300, Timo Aaltonen wrote:
> Simon McVittie kirjoitti 11.9.2023 klo 12.36:
> > I've opened a Mesa bug at wishlist severity suggesting a move to version
> > 16, and set it to block the bug for llvm-toolchain-15 removal (#1050070).
>
> The remaining blocker for this is that using llvm-16 requires a newer
> bindgen, and the latest upstream version split the cli separate, so that
> needs to be packaged (has been done AIUI) and processed through NEW first,
> see:
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/rust-team/debcargo-conf/-/issues/50

Does this block a general swap of the defaults from 14 to 16, or is it
just a blocker for Mesa moving to 16 as a result of something Mesa-specific?

Is there / does there need to be a transition tracking bug for this?

Perhaps to avoid the trip through NEW it would be pragmatic to make
rust-bindgen be temporarily or permanently a multiple-upstream-tarball
binary package that combines the upstream projects bindgen and
bindgen-cli, avoiding needing to wait for NEW on the critical path?

Thanks,
    smcv