On 2023-09-14 06:31:26 [+0100], Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> On Wed, 2023-09-13 at 22:01 +0200, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior wrote:
> > On 2023-09-13 17:26:46 [+0100], Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> > > How does this sound for an SUA?
> [...]
> > This sounds entirely fine to me. I don't think that it is needed to
> > point out that bullseye is not affected by the second issue.
> >

> Great, thanks.
>
> > There is also this thing regarding libclamunrar and the update to
> > v6.2.10 of the bundled libbrary. I *think* it is related to
> > CVE-2023-40477. Since unrar itself is only in -pu I think it is okay
> > for libclamunar to follow the same fate.
> >

> Just to be completely sure, "follow the same fate" here means leaving
> libclamunrar in (o-)p-u until the point releases?

I mean there is no reason to push libclamunrar via d/updates if the
unrar package isn't. Therefore I don't mind keeping libclamunrar in
o-)p-u until the point release. It is non-free after all.

> I assume the bundled library isn't used as-is in the Debian packaging,
> that being why libclamunrar exists.

The last time I looked the src:unrar package either didn't provide the
library or something else was different. So I tried to replace it with
libarchive but upstream wasn't pleased because it did not support some
"newer" rar formats. But now (as of the recent CVE) I was looking again,
noticed the library and noticed that clamav upstream already fiddled
with their in-tree copy. However I will spent some cycles to see if the
in-tree library can be used. If it works then it will lower the amount
of swearing needed during packaging of a new version.

> Regards,
>
> Adam

Sebastian