On Sunday, December 24, 2023 3:50:26 AM MST Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > If it ends up not being feasible to backport the entire Qt WebEngine from
> > the next LTS release, then we could look at cherry-picking all of the
> > security commits. This would be, by far, the most time-intensive solution.
> > But, as your point out, the security fixes on the Chromium side are well
> > marked. And, generally, they are small commits that only modify a few
lines.

> > For example:
>
> Your "generally" is not true, it misses the biggest problem.
>
> Out of 20 CVEs there might be 19 easy ones, plus one that is a quite
> invasive patch requiring a lot of backporting work.
>
> Who has both the required skills and a reliable commitment today for
> doing in the year 2027 an urgent backport of a complex fix for a
> zero-day vulnerability that is already being exploited in the wild?

I intend to be involved in this work for a lot longer than 2027, although
there will probably come a point 30 or 40 years down the road when I will need
to hand it off to a future generation.

As for the necessary skills, that is something I expect to pick up through a
combination of hard work and being willing to ask questions.

--
Soren Stoutner
so...@stoutner.com