Thanks for the feedback. Given the replies, I consider that most people
expect upgrades to be performed with apt (or some apt-using tool).
Upgrades using dpkg (directly) are at least partially unsupported. In
more detail:

On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 10:41:57AM +0100, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> ## Options (combinations possible)
>
> When mitigating P3, we can avoid the mutual conflicts. For molly-guard
> that has been more involved, but it seems manageable. For other
> packages (that do not need to access diverted files), it becomes
> simpler.

We'll be doing this. It is implemented in molly-guard and submitted for
gzip #1059533 / zutils #1059534. Hence, upgrades with apt-dependent
tools will not experience the failure mode.

> We can restore lost files in a postinst. For this to work, we must
> duplicate (e.g. hard link) affected files in the data.tar.
> Example: #1057220 (systemd-sysv upgrade file loss)
> Note that this approach is not policy compliant for essential packages
> as they must work when unpacked and this is relevant for gzip being
> diverted by zutils for instance.

We'll be doing this anyway. It is implemented in systemd-sysv.postinst
and proposed in the gzip patch above. Yes, we are technically violating
policy for gzip then, but I don't really see a technical way not to
violate policy. I expect that we do not consider fixing this (unfixable)
policy violation release-critical.

> We can introduce "barrier" packages (one or more) and have them enforce
> conflicting packages removed before the conflictor being unpacked
> (thanks Julian).

We'll keep this as an option for later, but avoid implementing it now.

> We can - and this is the crux of the matter - argue that upgrading with
> bare dpkg is unsupported and you get to keep the pieces if you do so
> anyway.

release-notes already recommend upgrading with apt. In addition we'll:
 * Extend release-notes to do advise something like `dpkg --verify` post
   upgrade.
 * Mitigate file loss in postinst (such that it becomes temporary).

If you have any objections to these choices, please tell.

Helmut