Control: tag -1 moreinfo

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 10:50:39AM -0500, Jérôme Charaoui wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had an exchange with a fellow DD about this update and uploading this to
> bookworm-backports was suggested as a possible alternative considering the
> large size of the .debdiff :
>
> > olasd | lavamind: in terms of policy, a backport would be allowed (it's a
> new upstream release, it's in testing, and you seem to be using the package,
> so you might as well upload it to bpo); That still leaves a buggy package in
> bookworm, if the bookworm package has never worked, pulling in the newer
> upstream release into a stable update may be deemed acceptable by the SRMs;
> looking at the upstream changelog of libapache2-mod-qos, the changes for
> compatibility with pcre2 (which is what our apache2 now builds against,
> since 2.4.52-2) have been introduced in libapache2-mod-qos upstream 11.73.
> Backporting the pcre2 support to the libapache2-mod-qos version in bookworm
> isn't a very sensible option IMO, in terms of maintainability
>
> If SRMs agree with this assessement, I can close this bug and prepare and
> upload to bookworm-backports instead.

It's one sensible path forward and it gives you more flexibility, but it
leaves a gap for users upgrading from bullseye.

Long term, is a new maintainer forthcoming? The orphan bug doesn't seem to
have any interest since being opened in 2019 and there weren't any uploads
at all until last year. Maybe its future should be considered first and
then that will inform the decision about how to handle stable.

Thanks,

--
Jonathan Wiltshire                                      j...@debian.org
Debian Developer                         http://people.debian.org/~jmw

4096R: 0xD3524C51 / 0A55 B7C5 1223 3942 86EC  74C3 5394 479D D352 4C51
ed25519/0x196418AAEB74C8A1: CA619D65A72A7BADFC96D280196418AAEB74C8A1