On 09/07/2011 05:51 PM, Stéphane Glondu wrote:
>> OCaml 3.12.1 has been recently released. It is mostly bugfixes. I've
>> rebuilt all packages that depend on ocaml, and I see no blocker to
>> update it in Debian. I've planified the migration at [1] (I am
>> planning to update a few other packages on the way). This will involve
>> ~30 sourceful uploads and ~150 binNMUs.
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/OCamlTaskForce/OCamlTransitions
>>
>> I am waiting for the approval from the release team to proceed.
>
> It's been 60 days now, and no news. Any ETA?

I understand that the release team is very busy, and OCaml transitions
involve a lot of packages, but history has shown that they are pretty
self-contained and don't interact very much with other stuff.

Actually, in general, I'd rather see (I'm talking about the OCaml stack,
with my maintainer's hat on) problematic packages removed from testing
instead of waiting for months to get a new version of the compiler or a
library. The fact that everything has to be recompiled is unfortunate,
but the infrastructure seems to support it well, and it constrains the
packages to be always buildable, which is nice. Besides, OCaml upstream
is very conservative and break very few (if any) stuff with new releases
(and here, we are talking about a minor release...).

Cheers,

--
Stéphane