On Mon, 30 Jul 2012, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 12:56:11PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > This email is related to bug #681352 (amd64-microcode), and to an
> > yet-unfilled freeze exception request for intel-microcode.
>
> Just looking at amd64-microcode:
>
> The initramfs hook does not specify "set -e". Should it?

No, it could cause problems.  I do use "|| true" to explicitly mark where
errors are expected and _must_ be ignored, but that doesn't imply it should
be "set -e" :-)

> Which kernels are broken so that they need the per-CPU workaround?

AFAIK, all currently published but 3.6-rc1.   There are three ABIs:

1. broken per-core (allows partial update)
2. fixed per-core  (errors in every core but the BSP, and updates every core
at once) -- should be in -stable soon enough.
3. system-wide (per-core interface removed) : accepted for v3.6.

The script handles all three.  Note that we do not know which core will be
the BSP, it doesn't have to be core 0 as far as I was able to verify this...

  Henrique Holschuh