I am currently the lead upstream maintainer of HTTPS Everywhere, and a Debian
user.

If there isn't a way to get new versions of HTTPS E to Debian stable users via
stable-updates on at least a ~ 1 month timeframe, I think it would be bad for
those users to be installing xul-ext-https-everywhere.  They would have a
much better experience installing directly from
https://eff.org/https-everywhere and getting timely updates from our stable
branch that way.

Similar points apply to the stable-updates shipping iceweasel 17ESR and 24ESR
that Paul refers to below.  We generally meet and fix several major new Firefox
incompatibility bugs between each ESR release.

(It's great to read that wheezy isn't going to be stuck with iceweasel 10ESR for
the next two years, though!)

So anyway, I think the options are:

1. Push a new xul-ext-https-everywhere to stable-updates no more than a week
or two after it appears;

2. Ship a xul-ext-https-everywhere that auto-updates via EFF's stable updates
channel.  Not a very Debian-like solution, but Fedora has done this at least
some of the time for us;

3. Don't ship xul-ext-https-everywhere in Debian stable releases

--
Peter Eckersley                            p...@eff.org
Technology Projects Director      Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131