Hi,

Niels Thykier wrote (30 Oct 2014 22:05:20 GMT) :
> On 2014-10-29 17:09, intrigeri wrote:

>> Plan A -- ship Jessie with libotr 4.1, drop the version check temporarily
>>
>> 1. Patch libotr to loosen this version check on Jessie: assuming the
>>    "no API/ABI break" assumption is true, this should work just fine.

> I suspect this will be the least intrusive method assuming the "no
> ABI/API" assertion holds.

I'll check this the best I can (I'll try my best with the readelf
command you provided and also will generate shlibs files for both 4.0
and 4.1, and compare what's in there). I'll also test, as a practical
usecase, that e.g. pidgin-otr built against libotr 4.0 works fine with
libotr 4.1.

>> 2. For Jessie+1, re-add the version check, and get proper shlibs
>>    support so that we get proper transition handling next time.
>>

> As I recall, we generally prefer libraries do not have unnecessary
> "strictly equal runtime version checks", since they tend to be wrong.
>   Proper use of shlibs (or symbols) and SONAME bumping (with package
> renaming) makes such checks redundant (for Debian maintained reverse
> dependencies).

Actually, the way I understand the code, what we have here is not
a "strictly equal runtime version check", but rather "runtime version
greater or equal to the build-time one", which is better in that it
doesn't require binNMUs.

But anyway, for Jessie+1 I'll add shlibs support, so indeed this check
will be redundant; and then, my understanding is that it'll also
become fully harmless.

> I generally agree with plan A (with the a minor remark mentioned above).

OK, I'll do that. Thanks!

> Please also prepare a debdiff between libotr/4.1.0-1 and the proposed
> version[1] and send it to us (to this thread), so we can review the
> additional changes we will accept.

Sure, will do.

Cheers,
--