On Sat, 1 Nov 2014 20:49:39 Julien Cristau wrote:
> There *has* to be a preference (preferrably a common one across the
> archive).  Otherwise the package manager gets to choose a random
> provider, which is the worst possible outcome.

I do not understand why there has to be a preference. I understand behaviour
of package manager and I've deliberately chosen not to have a preference.
I do not see any benefits of having prefered client package in this case.

Why do you insist that virtual-only dependency is wrong?

It is hardly a "worst possible outcome" when all alternatives are equally
suitable.

> > I've realised that "virtual-mysql-client" can be demoted to Recommends --
> > please advise if that change warrants an unblock in which case I will
> > upload to "unstable". Thank you.
>
> Not if it stays virtual-only.

Would you be satisfied if I add an alternative as follows?

    virtual-mysql-client | mysql-client

Thanks.

--
All the best,