in theory it should be easier to port applications to ppc64el, especially
software that is not maintained by Debian (like various commercial or not
packaged apps and libraries), because it makes a little bit more similar to
x86 and amd64. Power8 hardware isn't terribly expensive (and there are
already non-IBM manufacture cpu / cores available from China AFAIK, which
might bring power and power9 prices down), and going forward ppc64el is
probably easier to maintain longterm.

I would personally prefere big endian too over little endian, but that is
reality, and not that important compared to other ppc64 benefits.