Control: tags -1 + confirmed

On Fri, 2016-07-15 at 00:25 +0200, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On Thu 2016-07-14 20:06:27 +0200, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> > Please could we have a debdiff, relative to the current package in
> > jessie, in this bug log? (We prefer p-u bugs to be self-contained, and
> > not have to rely on your git tree existing for arbitrary periods in the
> > future, or on it not changing after we give an ack.)
>
> sure.  the debdiff is quite large, primarily due to upstream renaming
> effective_tld_names.dat to public_suffix_list.dat (and adding a
> python-based "linter", and changing how they produce their upstream
> changelog), but i've attached the gzip'ed debdiff below.

Thanks; please feel free to upload that, with a small tweak:

+publicsuffix (20160703-0+deb8u1) stable; urgency=medium
+
+  * prepare for stable-proposed-updates.

"jessie" is generally preferred as the changelog distribution and maybe
"Upload to stable" or something similar?

> The git tree's jessie branch which i'm proposing is at commit ID
> 6520ee81d3e2d73192e67685652ef6bccdb2e637, fwiw, so you don't have to
> worry about it changing.

Thanks for that, but we'd still prefer p-u bug reports to be
free-standing.

[...]
> I expect the packaging should be able to remain basically as-is for
> jessie's lifetime, since we're basically just shipping a static global
> file.

That's good to know.

> > How frequently would you imagine that the package would need to be
> > updated in stable?
>
> Upstream makes several additions to the psl per month, but the new
> editions are rarely super-urgent.  I'd imagine doing a "roll-up" release
> of changes every month or two to more accurately track the state of
> global DNS administrative boundaries.

Every couple of months is when we aim (not always successfully) to do a
stable point release, so that hopefully works out well all around.

Regards,

Adam