Package: release.debian.org
Severity: normal
Tags: jessie patch
User: release.debian....@packages.debian.org
Usertags: pu

linkchecker, a package to check links in a webpage, suffers from a
serious bug (#839241) which makes it impossible to check any HTTPS
webpage or any page that contains a HTTPS URL.  Although it correctly
checks plaintext URLs, the HTTPS URLs are so common that it makes it
impossible to use it on any site that has any link to an HTTPS site,
or is an HTTPS site itself, which I consider a "grave" bug because it
"makes it unusable by most users".

I have made a NMU to fix the bug in Debian:

https://packages.qa.debian.org/l/linkchecker/news/20160519T192043Z.html

.... and submitted the patch upstream:

https://github.com/wummel/linkchecker/pull/656

Attached is a debdiff between the -1 and -1.1 version. I suggest
uploading the -1.1 version straight to stable since newer releases
were done in stable. I am concerned by a subsequent QA upload that
fixed a related issue, however:

https://packages.qa.debian.org/l/linkchecker/news/20160723T130426Z.html

I am not sure this bugfix applies to jessie, however, as I am using
-1.1 here in jessie without problems.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: 8.6
  APT prefers stable-updates
  APT policy: (500, 'stable-updates'), (500, 'proposed-updates'), (500,
'stable'), (1, 'testing')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 4.6.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=fr_CA.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=fr_CA.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
Init: systemd (via /run/systemd/system)