Package: release.debian.org
Severity: normal
User: release.debian....@packages.debian.org
Usertags: transition

Hi,

we would like to transition to ipython 5. The version currently in
Debian (2.4.1) includes a notebook and a qt console. These components
(at least the notebook functionality) were moved to the separate project
jupyter. Because of this, the old ipython is replaced by a bunch of
packages, which are currently in experimental:

    ipython
    ipykernel
    jupyter_client
    jupyter_core
    nbconvert
    nbformat

Some additional are currently being packaged:

    ipywidgets         ITP: #838684
    jupyter-notebook   ITP: #801366
    widgetsnbextension ITP: #838683

There are two categories of ipython reverse dependencies: The ones that
depend only on ipython and/or ipython3, and the ones that also depend on
packages that do not exist anymore in this form in ipython 5,
ipython(3)-notebook and ipython(3)-qtconsole.

Below is a list of all these reverse dependencies. With the exception of
yade, I was able to build all the ones that have a reverse dependency
only on ipython(3) successfully against ipython 5.1.0-1.

It is clear that apart from yade, the dependencies on
ipython(3)-notebook and/or ipython(3)-qtconsole need special attention.
I would start by filing bugs against these packages to see what needs to
be done. They are:

glueviz, lmfit-py, plotly, sardana, vistrails, yade

The maintainer of lmfit-py and sardana already promised to take care of
these packages:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-science-sagemath/Week-of-Mon-20161010/000231.html

Would you say I should also file bugs against all the other affected
packages?

Here's the list of reverse dependencies, originating from dak:

# Build-Depend only on ipython / ipython3:

ipdb             builds with ipython 5.1.0-1
matplotlib       builds with ipython 5.1.0-1
nova             builds with ipython 5.1.0-1
patsy            builds with ipython 5.1.0-1
pysurfer         builds with ipython 5.1.0-1
python-cycler    builds with ipython 5.1.0-1
python-geopandas builds with ipython 5.1.0-1
python-skbio     builds with ipython 5.1.0-1
sfepy            builds with ipython 5.1.0-1
yade             FTBFS with ipython 5.1.0-1

# Build-Depend on ipython(3)-notebook or ipython(3)-qtconsole:

glueviz: ipython (>= 2.3.0)
         ipython3 (>= 2.3.0)
         ipython3-qtconsole (>= 2.3.0)
lmfit-py: ipython-notebook
          ipython3-notebook
plotly: ipython-notebook (>= 2.3.0)
        ipython3-notebook (>= 2.3.0)

# Depend only on ipython / ipython3:

accerciser: accerciser
androguard: androguard
connectomeviewer: connectomeviewer
ipdb: python-ipdb
      python3-ipdb
plaso: plaso
pytango: python-pytango
         python3-pytango
python-pypump: pypump-shell
python-skbio: python-skbio
              python3-skbio
rabbitvcs: rabbitvcs-core
sfepy: python-sfepy
woo: python-woo
     python3-woo
yade: yade

# Depend on ipython(3)-notebook or ipython(3)-qtconsole:

glueviz: glueviz: ipython3
                  ipython3-qtconsole
sardana: python-sardana: ipython
                         ipython-qtconsole
vistrails: vistrails: ipython-qtconsole

Ben file:

title = "ipython";
is_affected = .depends ~ "ipython" | .depends ~ "ipython3" | .depends ~
"ipython-notebook" | .depends ~ "ipython3-notebook" | .depends ~ "ipython-
qtconsole" | .depends ~ "ipython3-qtconsole" | .depends ~ "ipython" |
.depends
~ "ipython3";
is_good = .depends ~ "ipython" | .depends ~ "ipython3";
is_bad = .depends ~ "ipython-notebook" | .depends ~ "ipython3-notebook" |
.depends ~ "ipython-qtconsole" | .depends ~ "ipython3-qtconsole";

Best,
Tobias