On Monday, 17 October 2016 3:33:29 PM AEDT Rene Engelhard wrote:
>  - mysql-connector-c++s upstream is Oracle, so they obviously do not care
>    about MariaDB and (can) just require MySQL
>  - mysql-workbench (also Oracle I think) in newer versions apparently needs
> mysql-connector-c++ >= 1.1.7
>  - mysql-connector-c++ starting from 1.1.5 (IIRC) needs MySQL >= 5.6 to
> build (and doesn't build with MariaDB) and mysql-connector-c++ 1.1.7 needs
> even MySQL >= 5.7

Sadly it is true that Oracle couldn't care less about mysql-workbench
compatibility with anything but MySQL 5.7... New versions of mysql-workbench
FTBFS with mysql-5.6 and with mariadb. mysql-workbench is stuck at v6.3.4
because upstream refuses to recognise/resolve FTBFS in newer versions that
upstream build against MySQL 5.7.

>    (Interestingly, the mysql-workbench "maintainer" didn't do *any* action
> or offer to help to fix https://bugs.debian.org/836731, which is why sid
> is stuck with 1.1.3)

 * mysql-workbench maintainer is not even mentioned in #836731 let alone he
is not a maintainer of "mysql-connector-c++"...

 * #836731 was silently merged with related #835185 at which mysql-workbench
maintainer looked but unfortunately couldn't find anything with his limited
knowledge of C++. He then tagged bug #835185 "help".

 * mysql-workbench maintainer have no shortage of excuses for his inactivity:
among other issues that affect his performance there are new job, illness
(from which he did not recover yet) and sudden death of a family member in an

 * mysql-workbench maintainer is unable to deal with complex C++ issues on
his own and upstream is not helpful (or at least ignores comments about
compatibility raised in their bug tracker). mysql-workbench maintainer wishes
he could be more useful but there is only little he can do... :(

Best wishes,
 Dmitry Smirnov.

Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.
        -- Winston Churchill