On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 06:42:17PM -0300, Gustavo Noronha wrote:
> [Please CC me and Ronaldo, we're not subscribed to this list]

Please set Mail-Followup-To in the mails.

> I am helping to asses the viability of running Zope/Plone on Debian
> GNU/Linux Etch in an IBM zSeries. I've searched the release notes and
> installation manual, and some FAQs, and even saw some *-s390x packages
> (such as libc6-s390x) on a quick packages.debian.org search, which I
> imagine are part of the multiarch support, meaning that I can run 64
> bits software on a zSeries today.

Debian Etch includes a 64bit linux kernel and some core libs in 64bit.
With this kernel it can run any 64bit software.

>                        Thus, I would like to verify the information: can
> I run Debian GNU/Linux Etch in 64 bits mode at all?

Yes.

>                                                     If not, do I have
> any performance penalty?

No. 32bit code is usually slightly faster. The code size is smaller and
the cache can hold more of them.

Bastian

--
        "That unit is a woman."