Hi Chris,

>> To improve the check r-data-without-readme-source and to avoid unmaintained
>> README.source, lintian could check if the filename of all .RData files from
>> a package are referenced into the README.source.
>
> Good idea!
>
>> A simple example where it could be useful is: a new version of a package
>> contains a new binary R data file, but if the maintainer does not update
>> the README.source, lintian will no emits any tag whereas this binary is not
>> properly described.
>
> Sounds like we want something a bit more machine-readable than README.source.
> Is it legal to add fields to a DEP-5 debian/copyright for this? If not,
> I wonder if a debian/source/rdata with some field (or similar) could work?

I'm not sure if d/copyright could be a correct place for this, but
d/source/rdata sounds nice. Anyway this should be discussed with the
team (we still don't have a place for discussion #886854 excepted to
spam Debian Med and Debian Science teams). We should also probably
have a tool to generate (at least) a skeleton of this file (#890451 in
CC) to avoid a manual editing :-).

> An example from the R maintainers (especially including a violating case)
> would be extremely useful.

Let's wait and see what the team will decide before to go further.

Best,
Dylan