On Mon, 25 Feb 2008, Rudi Cilibrasi wrote:
> Well said.  I have been suggesting this for years.  I believe the
> scientific method is generally thought to include "verifiability" and
> particularly "reproducibility" as criteria for a well-performed
> experiment.

Let me comment on with 1 reference which imho should be mentioned
to anyone doing ML (and not only) related research

http://mloss.org/
(p.s. someone can treat it btw as the rich source of ideas for Debian
packaging projects, there are 65 of them registered as of now and I am
not sure what % is in Debian already and what % is worth being in
Debian).

and a paper that website references
The Need for Open Source Software in Machine Learning

Sören Sonnenburg, Mikio L. Braun, Cheng Soon Ong, Samy Bengio, Leon
Bottou, Geoffrey Holmes, Yann LeCun, Klaus-Robert Müller, Fernando
Pereira, Carl Edward Rasmussen, Gunnar Rätsch, Bernhard Schölkopf,
Alexander Smola, Pascal Vincent, Jason Weston, Robert Williamson;
8, 2007

Abstract
Open source tools have recently reached a level of maturity which makes
them suitable for building large-scale real-world systems. At the same
time, the field of machine learning has developed a large body of
powerful learning algorithms for diverse applications. However, the true
potential of these methods is not used, since existing implementations
are not openly shared, resulting in software with low usability, and
weak interoperability. We argue that this situation can be significantly
improved by increasing incentives for researchers to publish their
software under an open source model. Additionally, we outline the
problems authors are faced with when trying to publish algorithmic
implementations of machine learning methods. We believe that a resource
of peer reviewed software accompanied by short articles would be highly
valuable to both the machine learning and the general scientific
community

http://www.jmlr.org/papers/volume8/sonnenburg07a/sonnenburg07a.pdf

--
Yaroslav Halchenko
Research Assistant, Psychology Department, Rutgers-Newark