On Sun, 27 Jul 2008, Michael Banck wrote:

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 07:03:58PM +0100, Chris Walker wrote:
=== Structure calculation ===

==== Abinitio  ====

==== Semi Empirical ====

=== Molecular graphics ===

So we would have four categories for DebiChem?

Certainly the chemistry stuff should get better sorted, and this is on
my TODO list for debichem.  In particular, the last group needs more
grouping (molecular modelling, 2D structure editing etc.)

... or even more.

At the same time, I am wondering why abinit got uploaded to pkg-scicomp
without consulting the debichem team first?

I'm a real fan of communication - so please be nice to each other and
at least drop some notes to potentially interested groups ...

If abinit is really only
interesting to physicists I guess that's fine, but the description seems
to indicate otherwise.

Well, there is nothing that speaks against listing a package in more than
one category (meta package).  We know that we are listing DebiChem maintained
packages in med-bio and there is much room for listing packages in more
than one task.

It seems pointless to have competing packaging groups around,

Yes.  As long as a package is solidly maintained there is no reason
to blame anybody.

I thought pkg-scicomp was mainly packaging software which
is of general interest to scientific computing (like lapack, blas,
etc.), not specific applications for which other packaging groups (and
debian-science more generally) are already available.

I admit that for me the role of pkg-scicomp is somehow unclear and the
communication is not really the best.  That's why we did not waited for
the pkg-scicomp team to push the Debian Science effort but did this on
our own and hope for a reasonable cooperation.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de