Andreas Tille <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Chris Walker wrote:
>
> > That's true, though if the although a normal bug fixed The reason IYes,
> > that's true. The rationale behind suggesting it was that it

> ... ups this paragraph is unfinished ...

What I meant to say is:

As the aim of these pages is to encourage people to take an overview
of where help is required, packages where the maintainer deals with
bugs in a timely manner are much less in need of help than packages
where the bugs have built up over time.

But, as you say, a bug is a bug, so it's not clear how much advantage
there is in implementing this.

> > After lenny is released would be a better time to tune the number - at
> > the moment there is, quite rightly, some relectance to upload new
> > packages.
>
> This "after lenny" remark brings up another issue:  The current bug
> pages do not respect any stable / frozen / testing / unstable differentiation.

> This might be interesting, but currently I do see more urgent problems
> to solve - feel free to spend some time on it if you regard this as
> an urgent problem.  A bit more interesting might be to leave out
> bugs tagged "wontfix" (and it is simpler to implement).

Yes, that makes sense.

> > That's true, but there is a difference between not meeting policy
> > requirments and breaking the whole system and causing severe data
> > loss.
>
> Sure.
>
> > I did wonder about suggesting:
> >           A    B      C
> > wishlist:  1    1      1
> > minor:     2    3      4
> > normal:    4    9     16
> > important: 8   27     64
> > serious:  16   81    256
> > grave:    32  243   1024
> > critical: 64  729   4096
> >
> > ie one normal bug is worth 2 (or 3, or 4) minor bugs, and so on.
>
> Understand the principle.  The much higher score of the critical ones
> also might reduce the influence of a lot of minor / normal bugs in a
> metapackage with much dependencies.  Do you have any suggestions for
> the limits that fit these scores.

An immediately attractive idea would be the value of one "critical"
bug - in which case, suggestion "B" might be better than A. Then
perhaps a linear spacing:

red: 729 *4/4   (80+ normal bugs)
yellow: 729*3/4 (60+ normal bugs)
green: 729*2/4 (40+ normal bugs)
blue: 729*1/4  (20+ normal bugs)

but I haven't actually tried it to see if it would work.

> > PS if you added an "orange" level, you would have one more level to
> > play with. I'm assuming here bug severity goes in the order of
> > colours of the rainbow.
>
> Well, any volunteer to work on a proper css file.  I wished some
> people would start working in SVN on this stuff.  Testing is easy
> by just doing
>
>    rsync -a alioth.debian.org:/var/lib/gforge/chroot/home/groups/cdd/htdocs .
>
> and you have your local copy of the result.  Than you can play with
> the CSS file (which differentiates those bugs).  Then you can
> check in the new css if you are happy about it.

I'll see if I can make time to have a look, but don't hold your breath.

Chris