Le Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 10:03:09AM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel a écrit :
> One would _at least_ need a proper debian/copyright. That step is fairly
> impossible to automate.

Hi Dirk and Andreas,

One first step in this direction would be to help Upstream to directly write a
file that would be suitable for Debian. For the most simple packages, which are
many, do you think that the R communauty would be interested in making the
LICENSE file machine-readable? The same format as the DESCRIPTION file could
be proposed, or a variant that tolerates more space.

Here are two Debian copyright files I have written for R packages using this
format or its variant:

http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/r/r-cran-epibasix/current/copyright
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/r/r-cran-haplo.stats/current/copyright

>From a CRAN author point of view, using such formats mostly means adding some
indentation and a few field names to already existing content. For instance
with current LICENSE file of haplo.stats is:

License:

Copyright 2003 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research.

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under
the terms of
the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation;
either
version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY
WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for
more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with
this
program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place,
Suite 330,
Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA

For other licensing arrangements, please contact Daniel J. Schaid.

Daniel J. Schaid, Ph.D.
Division of Biostatistics
Harwick Building – Room 775
Mayo Clinic
200 First St., SW
Rochester, MN 55905

phone: 507-284-0639
fax:      507-284-9542
email: sch...@mayo.edu

And would become:

Copyright: 2003 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research.
License: GPL2-2+

        This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
under the terms of
        the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software
Foundation; either
        version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

        This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
WITHOUT ANY
        WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or
        FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License
for
        more details.

        You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along
with this
        program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple
Place, Suite 330,
        Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA

Comment:
        For other licensing arrangements, please contact Daniel J. Schaid.

        Daniel J. Schaid, Ph.D.
        Division of Biostatistics
        Harwick Building – Room 775
        Mayo Clinic
        200 First St., SW
        Rochester, MN 55905

        phone: 507-284-0639
        fax:      507-284-9542
        email: sch...@mayo.edu

If a CRAN package provides in its LICENCE or DESCRIPTION file the necessary
information, it would be possible to send to the Debian archive packages from a
cran2deb repository without altering them (or maybe after a rebuild if they are
old).

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy