Subject: Torque License
From: Kjeldgaard Morten <[email-masked]>
To: Steffen Moeller <[email-masked]>, Michael Dorr <[email-masked]>, Michael Banck <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 19:33:12 +0100

Steffen, Michael, and Michael,

Fortunately, I think the license question is a misunderstanding, but I  
understand why it has arisen.

Torque is a fork made from OpenPBS in 2005 [1]. We can speculate why  
that is, one possibility is to avoid the strong licensing terms on  
OpenPBS by Altair Inc. The license you have on your webpage, Michael   
[2] is the one from Altair, and it applies to OpenPBS but not Torque.

I have looked extensively at the homepage of Clusterressources and  
only been able to find the license we know well [3]. I have _not_ been  
able to find any mention of the strict Altair license, in fact, I have  
found the following statement "TORQUE is neither endorsed by nor  
affiliated with Altair Grid Solutions, Inc." [4, bottom of page].

My conclusion is that Torque is covered by the license present in the  
tarball, and while it's not free (as judged by Ubuntu's archive admin,  
the package's in Multiverse), we are free to distribute it.

It's indeed _very_ confusing that two very different licenses both go  
under the name "OpenPBS License v. 2.3", but I think we can go forward  
as planned with the merge.

Cheers,
Morten

PS: Where have you got that Altair license from, Michael?

[1] http://www.clusterresources.com/pages/press/pr_26oct05.php
[2] http://people.debian.org/~mbanck/OpenPBS_License_Agreement.pdf
[3] http://www.clusterresources.com/products/torque/docs10/a.hlicense.txt
[4] http://www.clusterresources.com/pages/products/torque-resource-manager.php