I emailed upstream about a year ago (
http://sundials.2283335.n4.nabble.com/Packaging-sundials-for-debian-td4653658.html),
and I sent them the patches directly, but never heard back from them. I've
got no idea about upstream's release schedule or future plans, the 2.7
release came as a complete surprise to me. I get the impression sundialsTB
may be gone for a while (as while it hasn't changed for 7 years, I don't
see much change in the higher level interface of sundials, apart from the
new runga-kutta solver, which sundialsTB doesn't support, so maybe there's
bugs which haven't been mentioned on the mailing list?), but that just
speculation, and they could just as well be working on a 2.7.1 release
which only updated sundialsTB.

I ignored the tests, I've had no problems building scikits.odes on top of
sundials, and I'm not inclined to trust examples where results may vary
based on optimisation, as opposed to real tests (this could be something
worth asking upstream about).

What's your plan on the organisation of the packages, my idea (which I
haven't started on, I'm very open to opinions on this) was to have a
package per DSO (which makes more sense if we add support for the other
parallelisation method sundials now has), a libsundials-dev which has the
things for each of the solvers, but not the serial/parallel/openmp stuff,
and which depends on a separate
libsundials-{serial/parallel/openmp/etc.}-dev? I can also see advantages
for splitting out separate packages for each of the solvers, or for a
single dev package, but I thought that this would involve the least change.
OTOH, there's nothing in Debian which depends on sundials, and it's isn't
that popular, so that may not be a strong argument.

James

--
Don't send me files in proprietary formats (.doc(x), .xls, .ppt etc.). It
isn't good enough for Tim Berners-Lee

 - Henrik Tikkanen

If you're not messing with your sanity, you're not having fun.
 - James Tocknell

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice,
there is.