Hi Kay

On 03/02/2017 13:01, Kay F. Jahnke wrote:
I'm currently trying to get the ubuntu package sources for vc-dev up to
date, so I thought I might find the package in debian, hoping that an
update there would eventually trickle down. But it's not there - at
least I can't find it.

You are correct, the package exists in Ubuntu [1], but not in Debian.
A RFS (Request for Packaging) bug for vc has already been filed [2].
Rather than spend your time trying to get the Ubuntu package up to date, I suggest preparing the updated package for Debian. You should have no trouble finding sponsorship for your package at Debian Mentors [3].

Regards
Graham

[1] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vc
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/846491