On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 12:50 PM, Ghislain Vaillant <ghisv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31/10/17 13:15, Stephen Sinclair wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 8:28 PM, Ghislain Vaillant <ghisv...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Would that time be better spent on the Tensorflow / Keras combo, which is
>>> arguably significantly more popular in research? I am afraid we are
>>> already
>>> spreading our packaging efforts thin on the machine learning ecosystem.
>>

>> I am trying to learn a thing or two about packaging and hoping I can
>> add my weight to the team on this front.  Despite years of Linux
>> *user* experience, I admit I've never really figured out the full
>> Debian packaging ecosystem, and I'd like to take this RFA opportunity
>> as well as my current work on a new package for the Siconos dynamical
>> systems simulation library to improve.
>

> I am guessing this library is using Theano / Lasagne in the backend, right?

It has a dependency on python3-theano, yes.  I agree with your other
email that it might be wise to move towards integrating the tensorflow
backend.  Has there been discussion on packaging Tensorflow?  I don't
see it with apt-get search.

In the meantime I'll play with updating this keras package based on
the existing Theano package, to improve my knowledge.  Hopefully this
will help me get started with some other packages I am interested in.

>> Would anyone be willing to
>> mentor me?  (ie. privately answer my stupid questions about where to
>> find things, where to submit requests, how to fix lintian warnings,
>> etc..)
>

> You may certainly ask your questions directly to this mailing-list. The team
> has been pretty helpful when I started myself.

I'll do so liberally then ;)

My understand of what I should do to adopt this package:

1. Change the bug from RFA to ITA
2. Update "Maintainer:" to my name (or should I change it to debian science?)
3. "Upload" this change to close the ITA bug.  (This means using dput, right?)
4. Update the package to latest keras and fix policy issues -- lintian
currently for me does not identify any policy issues so I am not sure
what it is about.  It does say that the Section: should change from
"science" to "python" due to the package name, I am not sure if this
should be ignored in the context of debian-science.
5. Update the new version.  (Close a bug with this second upload?  Not sure.)

I realize that perhaps 3 and 5 here mean that I should actually submit
a form email to debian-science to have someone upload it for me.

If there are problems with 4, then I must coordinate with
debian-science if e.g. theano is out of date or whatever.  (Not saying
it is, just clarifying my understanding of what I would do in that
case..)

Also, I do not know where the current package sources are kept.
Currently I have used "gbp import-dsc" to create a git repository
locally, I could put this on alioth.  It seems there is only one
changelog entry, so no history to recover.

regards,
Steve