I also have problems with vtk9 on armel, armhf and mipsel [1].
On armel and mipsel it fails with:

==
/usr/bin/ld: ../../lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libvtkCommonDataModel-9.0.so.9.0.1:
undefined reference to `__atomic_fetch_add_8'
==

and on armhf:

==
/<<PKGBUILDDIR>>/GUISupport/Qt/QVTKOpenGLNativeWidget.cxx:240:5:
error: ‘QOpenGLFunctions_3_2_Core’ was not declared in this scope; did
you mean ‘QOpenGLFunctionsPrivate’?
==

Adding "-latomic" in the first case did not resolve the problem.
armhf-failure was not investigate deeply.

@Mathieu, could you please help us from the upstream side to analyze
those issues with VTK/Paraview?
We are approaching a new stable release soon, it would not be good to
drop VTK and Paraview on
some architectures.

[1] https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=vtk9

Best  regards