Hi Magnus,

there are only recommendation, how do I usually deal with
such kind of problems:

> * the upstream tar ball comes with the egg-info directory. Presumably
> I should remove that since it gets generated?

Yes, remove. Put the wildcard in d/copyright under Files-Excluded section
and do "uscan --download --repack".

>  * the upstream project helpfully credits parts of the code that they
> have adapted from other projects. However, they folded their changes
> into other files. How is that reflected in the copyrights file?

All copyrights-holders should definitely be mentioned in d/copytight.
Otherwise the package will be rejected. The best way to drop all embedded
copies of third-party code and replace them by packaged versions, if they are
available in archive and if it is technically possible.

>  * I do get a bunch of warnings about privacy issues in the sphinx
> generated docs. I attempted to use the same rules as xarray but that
> didn't quite work. Also there are references to other images. How are
> these dealt with?

I am using "sed" to drop those places [1], [2]. But it can sometimes break
images, links etc.

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/yade/-/blob/master/debian/rules#L66
[2] https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/sumo/-/blob/master/debian/rules#L29

Regards